Saturday 24 June 2017

From Unworn Dress to Favourite Top

Take a high-street dress and make a top out of it, hand saw the seam, including the frill. Add a crochet collar by MoniqueBoutiqueMB and ta-da! Can you call it ethical fashion? 



I bought this dress without trying it on and as much as I liked the colour and the pattern, it was a bit too short for my liking. I couldn't take it back to the shop because I bought it from Romania, and I only tried it on when I arrived back in the UK (not a smart move, I know) so it stayed unworn in the wardrobe for a couple of months before I decided to make a top out of it. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and what it would look like, but I had no idea how to do it as I don't have a sewing machine and even if I had one, I don't know how to use it. First, I wanted to go to our local alterations centre and explain what I wanted but then I thought I could put my skill of sewing by hand to good use and do it all by myself.

What I wanted was to cut off the bottom part of the dress, shorten the sleeves (they were way too long) and add a frill. I also bought a crochet collar that I thought would look nice with this top. I can also wear it with one of my favourite necklaces made by yours truly. Here are the 'making of' photos and the end result and yes, it is my favourite top right now.










4 comments:

  1. So pretty, and without a sewing machine too! You are so good to handsew all that. I love a good garment refashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I should invest in a sewing machine so I could alter more things. I have so many ideas but I end up by not doing anything because it takes too long to sew by hand.

      Delete